Last Updated: November 10, 2021
Unique Japan Tours are open for business, ready to chat, or video call you to discuss your dream holiday to Japan! Our team are continuing to develop our products and services for when borders open up again. Our main goal continues to be reassure, encourage, reward and reduce the risk through flexibility for all our customers. Contact us at any time to speak to your Japan Travel expert.
Flexible Covid-19 Terms Summary:
- Full refund if your tour is cancelled or a travel ban is in place due to Covid-19.
- New Safety Measures on all our tours
- Book Now, Pay Later
- Free Date Change
- Delayed Final Payment with full financial protection
- Free Upgrade to VIP Premium Package
- Massive savings on popular tours
Booking Period: June 01 – December 31, 2020
Travel Period: August 01, 2020 – December 31, 2021
Tour Types: All Self-Guided and Small Group Tours
Read below for detailed information.
New Safety Measures:
Our 2021 & 2022 tour series are getting a revamp to facilitate Covid-19 prevention measures (combining all WHO* & JNTO* travel advice). All clients due to travel in 2020 will be sent the option to transfer to 2021 without any costs or penalties, even if they are booked on a tour that’s scheduled to go ahead in 2020.
- Covid-19 Approved Hotels/Accommodation – If we feel providers are not adhering to local guidelines, we will not be using them.
- Your tour guides, drivers, and/or assistants will wear masks at all times.
- Daily temperature tests before joining any of our tours.
- New Covid-19 Internal Team trained to handle emergencies and compliance with all regulatory bodies both in Japan and our local sales offices (Dublin & London).
- Recommended Social Distancing will be a top priority when visiting any sites, restaurants, public areas.
- Travel itineraries will be designed with this in mind, avoiding large crowds and encouraging more off-the-beaten track rural places in Japan (one of our unique specialities)
- Use of chartered vehicles / taxi’s (who already practice good social distancing) rather than public transport (on our private guided tours / where possible)
- Increase our Local Emergency Team to be ready to assist no matter where you are in Japan. If the needs arises, whether for medical reasons, information seeking, or sudden changes to your itineraries, your team will be ready and waiting to help all of our clients while in Japan.
*WHO: World Health Organisation
*JNTO: Japan National Tourist Organisation
Book Now, Pay Later
We understand the apprehensions around booking a trip in 2020. No matter when you book with Unique Japan Tours, your money is protected by Total Payment Protection (Topp) Policy provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited. To encourage you to book now, travel later, we have made the following changes to our booking conditions:
- We usually request full payment 8 weeks prior to tour start dates. This is reduced to 30 days prior (until further notice). If a travel ban is in place at this time, you will not be required to make final payment, and your booking deposit can be moved to another date free of charge. Or, if you prefer, you can opt to receive your booking deposit back on Day 30 prior to your start date (if official ban is in place only).
- During our Book with Confidence period (June 01, 2020 – December 31, 2020), deposits will increase to €400/£350/US$500/AU$600 per person and fully refundable if a travel ban is in place at time you are due to make final payment (30 days prior).
Early Bird Offers for 2021 Tours
Travel in 2021 and receive best value possible on a selection of our popular ‘Self-Guided’ & ‘Small Group’ Tours. Savings of up to €600 per person. This offer will run from October 1st – December 31, 2020.
Small Group Tours – €200/£150/US$250/AUD300 per person off all below tours.
- Japan Discovered €4,650 => NOW €4,485 per person
- Ancient Trails of Japan €4,400 => NOW €4,200 per person
- Gardens & Galleries €4,700 => NOW €4,500 per person
- Journey to the East €2,800 => NOW €2,600 per person
* Offers are available on any new bookings made between June 01 – December 31, 2020 for travel between August 01, 2020 – December 31, 2021. Offers are per person off published online prices. Covid-19 Flexible Terms & Conditions will be in place for any bookings made during this period (see below).
Black-Out Dates: July 22 – Sep 30 2021 during Olympics & Paralympics 2021. Offers are for new bookings only, non-transferable and cannot be used with any other offers received. Direct Bookings only. Contact us for more information.
To encourage you to book now, we are extending our adjustments to our regular terms & conditions, for bookings made between June 01, 2020 – December 31, 2020. We will be reviewing our terms coming close to the end of the year. All bookings made from January 01st 2021 will be reviewed prior to this but can be subject to regular terms & conditions.
Free Date Change
As entry bans are lifted in Japan, you will be able to make a date or name change up to 30 days prior to your start date, free of charge (until further notice). After 30 days, any changes made may be subject to the costs of tickets issued. Or if suppliers have already been paid, it will take longer or be more difficult to cancel. At all times, we will do our best to make any costs minimal. Unique Japan Tours cannot be liable for any costs incurred as a result of any date change requests.
9.2 Booking Deposits
Flexible booking deposits during Covid-19 Panedmic are as follows:
EUR400 GBP350 USD500 AUD600 Per Person Traveling
Your booking deposit will be fully refundable if Covid-19 is still a problem when you are due to make your final payments – up to 30 days prior.
Your deposit will be refunded if:
- 30 days prior to your start date, your country of origins’ official state advice is to avoid all but essential travel to Japan.
- 30 days prior to your start date, Japan’s Immigration borders restrict your country of origin from entering Japan.
Your deposit will not be refunded if:
- An official travel ban from either Japan or your country of origin is put in place 29 days prior to your start date. At this stage, the company has incurred costs associated with your booking. You should therefore have adequate travel insurance to cover this risk.
Delayed Final Payment
We usually request full payment 8 weeks prior to tour start dates. This is reduced to 30 days prior (until further notice).
Japan Travel Ban – Full Refund
If a travel entry ban into Japan is announced within 30 days of tour start date (by Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs), you will be given the option to postpone your trip to a later date (no charge) or receive a full refund.
Tour Cancellation – Full Refund
If the Company cancels your tour due to Covid-19, you will be given the option to change your tour to a later date, or receive a full refund (less non-refundable deposit).
VIP Premium Upgrade
As a special ‘thank you’ to our clients*, we would like to reward you by offering the following free upgrades:
Japan Concierge Service:
Our Tokyo Travel Desk will assist you with:
- Restaurant reservations that may sometimes be difficult to secure
- Optional tour reservations for your free days
- Advise on what to do in your local area and best way to get there (if not already in your travel pack)
- Any other service request (within reason)
*Valid for Clients who fall into either category:
- New Tours booked between October 01, 2020 – December 31 2020.
- All Clients who were due to travel in 2020 and postponed their trip to a future date in 2021 & 2022.
Travel dates should be between August 01, 2020 – December 31, 2022 (including Olympic & Paralympic season in 2021).
Q: What will happen if I book my tour to a date when travel restrictions are still not lifted?
A: If there are still travel restrictions in place before your final payment is due, we will be advising you of your options.
- [A] Consider postponing your trip, or
- [B] You will be given clear outline of any charges or refunds that may be due in the event you cancel your tour with us. If any new travel restrictions are announced within 29 days of your travel dates, we will negotiate with our suppliers on your behalf to ensure you can receive as much back as possible. Each case will be treated differently. Please remember that some of our services are non-refundable so once we enter Day 29 before your tour starts, we are entering non-refundable zones with suppliers. In all cases, we will do our best to reduce any financial loss. It is, for this reason, important you have adequate travel insurance to cover any losses during this 29 day period.
Q: If you (UJT) cancel our tour, what will happen?
A: During this time, we will make a decision whether to run your tour or not, at least 4 weeks prior to your tour start date. If any changes occur outside our control, within these 4 weeks, that make the tour non-operational, we will inform you immediately with options given at the time. This decision will be made to protect our clients from any health & safety risks. Your options will be to postpone your tour for free including our VIP Premium Upgrade or receive a full refund if the dates don’t suit you.
We only cancel tours if:
- Our hotels and transport companies are unable to provide their services
- The Japanese Government advises us to stop running tours
- All flights in and out of Japan are cancelled
We would not cancel tours if:
- One or some attractions are closed, but the majority of the tour can run unaffected
- Some flights are cancelled
- Some foreign governments recommend against their citizens travelling
Participants who have already cancelled in advance or transferred to a different tour would not receive any refund. Unique Japan Tours would not be liable for any other items or costs incurred such as airfares or seasonal supplements for your new dates.
Q: What will happen if my flight to Japan gets cancelled?
A: Unfortunately, Unique Japan Tours cannot be liable for flights getting cancelled. All tours are ready to go at least four weeks prior to your arrival date. So if you have paid in full, our regular terms and conditions will apply. If you have paid a deposit only, this will remain non-refundable. Again, this is why it is crucial to take out adequate travel insurance to protect this from happening.
- Contact your airline to re-book a new date. We will re-book your tour applying your new dates (subject to seasonal supplements)
- If the airline is no longer operating to Japan, request your refund (airlines are legally obliged to refund you in this case), and book a new flight. We will be able to help you with this.
Q: If there are no travel restrictions in place, but we still don’t feel like traveling to Japan due to Covid-19 concerns, where do we stand?
A: As soon as travel restrictions are lifted, our team are coming back to full time operations. This means we will be putting all of our energies and time into making your trip to Japan amazing! So unfortunately, if you change your mind, and prefer not to travel at all, you will be subject to our normal terms and conditions. However, each case will be looked at individually and an option to move your date will be considered at no extra cost (if done before 4 weeks of your tour start date).
Q: How much is my deposit?
A: If you book your tour with us between October 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, deposits will be €400 | £350 | US$500 | AU$600 per person.
If an official government travel ban is in place 30 days prior to your due start date, you can choose to move your deposit to a future date, or you will receive a full refund of your deposit and all services will be cancelled without penalty.
Q: If I pay my deposit now, when do I have to pay my balance?
A: During this time, we are not requesting full payments until 30 days prior (instead of 8 weeks prior).
Q: After I pay my full balance, will your regular cancellation charges apply?
A: If you book your tour with us between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, you will be awarded the Flexible Terms and Conditions (see above). We will be monitoring all global travel news and be updating this regularly and according to World Health Organisation advice.