Japan reopened for tourism on June 10th, 2022, with heavy restrictions in place. On September 7th, these restrictions have been updated.
NEED TO KNOW……
Unique Japan Tours (UJT Services G.K.) are a licensed land operator in Japan who can issue ERFS Certificates. To receive your ERFS Certificate, you must book a Small Group Tour, Self-Guided Tour, or Bespoke Tailor-made journey. We are not offering any other services at this time. If you are unsure if you qualify for an ERFS Certificate, please send an email with your query.
New Reopening Guidelines effective from September 7th, 2022.
- From September 7, 2022, PCR/Covid Test will not be required prior to entering Japan if you have 3 vaccines/booster from approved body. Full List here.
- Daily intake at ports will increase from 20,000 to 50,000 passengers from September 7th.
- List of countries allowed in without quarantine will change. (keep up to date on MOFA website here).
- Self-Guided or Independent travel will be allowed when booked through an approved agent with flights & accommodation to be included.
- If you have flights already booked that cannot be cancelled, you will have to travel as part of an escorted tour (similar to the guidelines announced for June 10th reopening (see below).
- ERFS Certificate is still required to obtain your visa. This must be issued by an approved agent (such as Unique Japan Tours).
- Visa application is still necessary for tourists and must be done by each traveler directly.
- If your plans to travel are for 2023 and beyond, we recommend you plan ahead without above guidelines in mind. For now, we are planning immediate trips in 3-month stages. We need at least one months notice to turn any trip around. Please do not get in touch if you are traveling in less than one month. We will be unable to service your requirements.
- If you wish to travel within 3 months (Sep-December 2022) and you have your flights already booked:
- Check if you can cancel your flights
- If you can cancel your flights, get in touch to start your Self-Guided Adventure in Japan. We will include a flight in the package offered (terms and conditions apply). Self-Guided Adventures start at €2,500 per person for land only packages. Flight prices will fluctuate depending on airlines and travel dates.
- If you cannot cancel your flights …. consider joining one of our upcoming scheduled Small Group Tours to Japan (see below). Tour prices start at €3,500 per person.
- Check if you can cancel your flights
- If you have nothing booked, and wish to travel on any of our trips, start your plan here.
- Please allow for at least 6-8 weeks to get your tour/visa processed.
NEW STEPS TO BOOK YOUR TRIP
STEP #1 ::
Decide which trip suits you best. If you see what you like on our website, fill our the form and pay your deposit. All Self-Guided and Small Group tours are bookable online here. Remember, we will have to quote your flights separately. You will pay for flights separately too, through our affiliate licensed and bonded partner company.
STEP #2 ::
Visa Application Form (3-months prior to departure date)
Contact your nearest Consular General or Japanese Embassy within 3 months prior to your departure date to find out what requirements are needed to obtain your visa.
Important: Not all consulates have the same requirements so be sure to contact your nearest one to find out their requirements. Once you know what documents you need, contact your travel consultant. It is very important to have all your documents before attending your appointment at Consulate.
You will be asked to fill out a Visa Application Form. It is your responsibility to ensure all guests in your travel group do this, on time. After we receive all details below, tour travel consultant will send you a partially filled out Application Form which requires information from our side (Guarantor in Japan).
STEP #3 ::
ERFS Certificate (Needed for visa application)
To get your visa, you will also be asked to bring an ERFS Certificate which our company in Japan (UJT Services G.K.) will issue once you have completed / sent us the following:
- Passport Copies (photo page is fine)
- E-Ticket (arrival/departure flights)
- Travel Insurance Policy Doc
- Final Payment for your full trip
- Medical Conditions (if any)
- Next of Kin (Relationship, Name, Email, Contact Number)
- Dietary Requirements for all passengers
STEP #4 ::
From September 7th, 2022, No PCR negative test result is required to enter IF you can provide Proof of 3 vaccinations. If you do not have 3 recognised vaccines (see list here), you are required to submit a negative Covid PCR test result received within 72 hours of departure from the country you are entering before Japan. Book your appointment for your test.
STEP #5 ::
Downloads & Other:
- Unique Japan Travel APP will be emailed to you along with your final travel documents (7 days prior to travel). To get started, download VAMOOS travel app on your phone.
Download your Essential Travel APP [powered by Vamoos]
- MY SOS APP – Download the App and make sure your App is Green before you start your journey to Japan for smoother entry.
- FAST TRACK Pre-register here at least 6 hours prior to arrival into Japan.
- Trip Cancellation or Changes: Please refer to Clause 3 & 4 in our terms and conditions in the unfortunate event you may wish to cancel or postpone your trip. If your flight details change it is very important you send us the updated flight changes. Changes to arrival or departures will be subject to additional charges if we are not given at least 24 hours’ notice.
- Unique Japan Travel Pack: Your final travel pack will be ready 7 days prior to your tour start date. We will send you this in digital form. All tickets and passes will be provided on your first day in Tokyo by your guide.
- Ministry of Health – check this website before traveling.
- Check your flight details 72 hours prior to departure (check direct with airline).
STEP #6 ::
SEE YOU IN JAPAN!!
**Upcoming 2022 Guided Trips** eligible for ERFS Certificate
- October 21 Ancient Trails (14 Days)
- October 27 Gardens & Galleries (12 Days)
- November 05 Japan Discovered (14 Days)
- November 09 Trail by Rail (11 Days)
- December 01 Trail by Rail (11 Days)
- December 22 Japan Discovered (14 Days)
- December 28, Hidden Treasures of Japan (13 Days)
- January 03 Trail by Rail (11 Days)
- February 05 Journey to the East (8 days)
- March 29 Japan Discovered (14 Days)
Below content is no longer relevant. For information purposes only.
Guidelines announced for June 10th reopening
1. Tour Planning
- Itineraries must be pre-arranged and booked by your agent.
- Make sure the country you are traveling from (within 14 days of entry to Japan) is on the “Blue List” .
- Guests must be accompanied by a tour leader from entry to departure.
- Guests must apply for a tourist/entry visa at nearest Japanese Consulate General. Find out what documents you need and how long this process will take. Most embassies are looking for the following information:
- Visa Application Form (ask your Japanese Consular)
- Passport & Passport photo (make sure your passport is valid for up to 6 months)
- ERFS Certificate (Entries, Returnees, Follow-Up System) – issued by UJT Services G.K./Unique Japan Tours (see below)
Contact your nearest Consular General or Japanese Embassy as soon as you book your trip. Not all consulates have the same requirements.
To avoid any delays, please send us the requested documents (before attending your appointment at Consulate) – Your Consulate should send you a list by email (all Consulates seem to have different requirements) which you should forward to your Travel Consultant.
2. ERFS Certificates
In order for us to issue your ERFS Certificate, the following must be fully completed:
- Decide your Bespoke Private Journey or Small Group Tour
- Agree to our Terms & Conditions
- Take out adequate Travel Insurance (see below section 3) – Send policy to us by email
- Book your flight – Send E-tickets to us by email
- Scan or take photo of your passports – Send Copy to us by email
- Trip must be paid in full prior to issuing any ERFS
Allow up to 4 working days for an ERFS Certificate to be issued.
*Once we issue your ERFS, you are responsible for obtaining your own visa. It is important you do this on time and make sure you have enough time to process all necessary steps. See Clause 15 on our terms and conditions.
2. Reservation Conditions
- Book your COVID-TEST (if traveling before SEP 7th – news just announced 24/08/2022))!! Results needed with 72 of departure from the country/region where you stay prior to entering Japan. Test centres must fill out this form to enter Japan. Make sure your test centre agrees to fill out the form. Approved Covid Tests can be seen here. Antigen/anti body/rapid antigen are not allowed.
- Prior to joining our tour, you must agree to comply with all guidelines set out by the Japanese Government. A summary of these guidelines are:
- Wear a mask in public places, indoors, on public transport etc.
- Keep your hands sanitized when requested (some shops & restaurants might ask you to do this still)
- Maintain physical distance where possible
- Avoid crowded areas or closed spaces with poor ventilation
- Pre-register for Fast Track Service at least 6 hours prior to your flights scheduled arrival time. Visit Japan Web
- Download the My SOS App and Fast Track service for a smooth entry into Japan.
- Purchase private travel insurance that covers medical expenses related to coronavirus infection and provides adequate coverage and service.
- Download your Unique Japan Tours Travel App to allow Instant messaging while on tour in case of any emergencies, if on your own.
3. Our Responsibility to guests
- Our tour guides and local assistants will be given training on compliance with infection prevention measures.
- The hotels and restaurants we use will meet safety measurement standards.
- Our Unique Japan Tours Travel App will be your go-to communications tool while in Japan. Instant messaging to our Tokyo office and your tour leader available while on tour!
4. Precautions taken on-tour
- Daily temperature checks prior to joining a tour.If you have a high temperature, you will be asked to take a rest.
- Your tour leader will be requested to ask guests to report any symptoms of Covid-19. If you have symptoms, it is important to notify your tour leader (via your Travel App, phone, or email). We will follow policy laid out by Japanese government.
- In order to properly identify the range of persons who have come into contact with the virus, we are requested to keep a record of all participating guests movements (including information on facilities used, seat locations on transportation, etc.). For this reason, we must pre-book and reserve all seats on trains, buses, flights etc.
5. Precautions taken after tour
- We kindly ask guests to report back to us if any member of your group tests positive for new coronavirus infection within one week of your return.